Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Death to Smittybilt

I'm sorry for anyone who takes offense at my desire for Smittybilt to die.  It's a free country.

Actually, I don't really want Smittybilt to die.  I'm sure they have some great stuff.  I just haven't found it.  So far everything I've purchased that's "Smittybilt" has been... less than enamoring.  It turns out there is a local shop with people I really like working with that carries Smittybilt almost exclusively.  Sorry guys, it was nice knowing you.  :-(

I did just buy a swell cell phone holder though!  Not Smittybilt, but Daystar.  This guy.  Jeep neat-o thing #126: There is a rubber console thingy recessed into the dash.  Neat-o thing 126.1: All of the little rubberized cubbies and such are completely removable, making for easy cleaning.  Just pop it out, bang it out or rinse it, pop it back in.  Awesome sauce.  Anyway, under the rubberized dash console dealy there is a bolt.  The bolt serves no purpose, it's just there.  Well, that's not true, it does serve a purpose- it's for you to be able to bolt things to the dash, like a swell cell phone holder.  So you pop out the old rubber dash cubby and bolt on a hard plastic piece to hold your phone.  It's a little more complicated than that, but not much.  Once that's done, the holder comes with a replacement rubberized piece that you pop in instead of the original rubber piece.  It works and looks really great!  Also, in case you are a Jeep owner wanting to remove the little bolt, after some giving up of my wallet at Home Depot as collateral to prove that I would return with the sockets that I was taking into the parking lot unpaid for, I discovered after about 5 different tries that it's a 7mm metric bolt.



Jeep Wave Count: 37

No comments:

Post a Comment