Monday, April 13, 2015

Doors Off!

My wife and I picked up some quick release side mirrors for doors-off (these guys) and pulled those suckers off!  I'd been wanting to do this ever since I bought the Jeep, but didn't have the opportunity until this weekend.  We had 1 day on Saturday of nice weather before an oncoming week of rain so I stripped it while the strippin was good!  And as we pulled up to our apartment after a day of doors-off at about midnight I thought to myself "Man, I really should have taken a picture while the sun was up".  Oh well.  No pics this time.

So how was it?  In a word, windy.  My wife might say "cold" or "terrifying".  I guess sitting in a door-less car on sharp-ish turns at speed takes some getting used to.  I thought it was a blast!  I honestly have to say that THIS is what driving should be like all the time.  I had my shoes off with my foot hanging out enjoying what felt like a really high speed dune buggy ride or something.  I told my wife to try sticking her foot out saying that it felt good, and she said "yeah, it'll feel great when your foot gets knocked off!"  haha, no sense of adventure.  It was pretty awesome, though my facial hair (kind of long right now, at least 6 inches off my chin) did keep whipping me in the face on the highway.  If I do doors-off again (and yeah, you know I will) I'll probably end up shaving or at least trimming it.  Hair hurts when it slaps your eyeball at 70mph apparently, who knew?

The doors are a lot heavier than I thought they'd be, and I expected them to be pretty heavy already.  Not surprisingly heavy, but more than I thought.  We live in a fairly small town home apartment (2 story) with hardwood on the bottom floor, so I had to carry the doors out from the street, up some stairs to our landing, into the apartment, then up another flight of stairs to the carpeted 2nd floor.  I got a bit of a workout.  Than in reverse that night to put them back on before the rain hit.  Oh how I pine for a garage...

We're planning on going to Go Topless Day at Crystal Beach in May (info here!) and I plan to strip the thing pretty bare for that.  I'll be taking off the top (maybe removing it altogether rather than just letting it down), take out the back seats, take off the doors, all of it!  That'll be a fun weekend that I'll need to get pics of.

Jeep Wave Count:  22

No comments:

Post a Comment