Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Side Window ID-10T Error

Anyone in the tech biz knows what an ID-10T error is.  I made one.

The side windows in a Jeep attach via zippers and velcro.  The attachment is pretty rock solid and sealed tight.  That is except for the front edge of the side windows - the oncoming wind facing edge.  (Note to reader: The last statement is incorrect, I'm getting there...)

When I bought my Jeep, I was given a pretty dinky little instruction manual and a quick demonstration on how to put the top up and down by a guy who wasn't familiar with the 2015 system.  I thought I had an understanding of how the side windows attached.  There are little L-brackets on the front edge of the windows that got held in place by the pressure generated between the closed door and the door frame.  (Note to reader: Another incorrect statement, still getting there)

I drove around town to work and back for the week with no problems.  The weekend came and we headed off to Houston for a trip (see previous post).  Once I got the Jeep up to 60 or so, the front edge of the side window popped out from between the door frame and door and became a gaping pocket.  Wind was rushing in, it was loud, it was damaging looking, it was not right.  I stopped and thought, well, maybe the Jeep isn't supposed to go as fast as 60?  Ridiculous, but the top was secured correctly!  (false statement)  I reset the top into the (in)correct position and decided to keep it slower, about 55.  We got a few miles down the highway and it popped out again.  This went on for 5 hours (should have been a 3.5 to 4 hour drive).  Keep it to 55 (75mph speed limit), pull over, fix, keep it to 55......

I was pretty livid.  I couldn't understand why the Jeep would be made this way.  Every other side - but the WIND facing side - was totally secured!  What brainiac engineer made such a stupid design decision!?  I was about to sue everyone, buy a new top, sell the Jeep, whatever I had to do.  I was not happy as I putted along I-45 at 55mph, looking in the side-view mirror to see the gaping hole in my car.  What if it rained!?

So anyway, we finally got to Houston and I was instantly on the interwebs looking for articles, new tops, instructions, whatever I could find.  And I found it.  After reading over and over to tuck the L-brackets into the door frame, it finally started clicking.  To put the final nail in my ignorance coffin I watched this YouTube video, linked here for your viewing pleasure:

I don't know how to succintly describe what I was doing wrong, or how one does it correctly.  Basically there is a step where you wedge those L-brackets back around behind the door frame.  Doing so seals and secures THE HECK out of the side window.  I can't believe I bone-headed it so completely.  You look at it once you've done it right and it's really a "duhhhh...." moment.  So I connected the windows correctly and can now travel as fast as I please.  ...Well, it IS still a Jeep.

Jeep Wave Count: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment